Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My First Quilt

Featured in Pink Chalk Newsletter 12/17/2011
&


mop it up mondays feature



About nine months ago a friend introduced me to the blog Cluck Cluck Sew and put the idea of quilting into my head. I decided I would start with a quilt for my little one who was just eight months old at the time. I purchased the Juice Boxes pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew, signed up for a Quilter's Kindergarten class, and made a trip to my local quilt shop, Village Dry Goods. After making a considerable dent in my wallet I returned home excited to start my project, but decided to wait till I went to the class.



The quilt went slow with a little one underfoot and because I was working on a denim rag quilt for a brother-in-law's wedding. After I basted the quilt I decided to give free-motion quilting a shot (AH!). The quilt sat waiting to be quilted for a while. I was trying to work up the nerve to do the free-motion quilting. I studied the tutorial "Finishing a Quilt" at Cluck Cluck Sew (can you tell she got me through this quilt!) many times before attempting anything. And guess what?! It wasn't so bad! I did the meander pattern and had a few sharp corners, but overall it went well. My biggest mistake was I forgot to put the foot down a few times, which led to some unpicking. :)

Close-up of the quilting, don't look too close. :)

Here are a few tips for free-motion quilting in addition to Allison's.

  • While it is ideal to start/stop quilting on the excess batting at the edge, that wasn't always possible when I had a one year old tugging at my legs. I learned it worked best to stop on a square the same color as my thread. That way if I didn't have a smooth start, it hid the mistake better. 
  • When restarting quilting in the middle of the quilt anticipate the direction you want to move before actually starting. This led to a more seamless start/stop.
  • Practice quilting on several sandwiches sewn together rather than just one sandwich. This helps you get the feel of going over seams. 
  • Be patient and relax! 
 This is the quilt that started my addiction!!  Quilt number 2 is in the works as we speak. :)


11 comments:

  1. I love your color choices. I can't believe it's your first quilt - you're a natural! I still quilt by hand but you have inspired me to move out of the dark ages. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I think you did a great job for a first quilt. I helped my young neighbor make her first and I ended up just doing straight lines across to quilt it as she could not do a straight line..hahah.

    By the way, I have a huge stash of Bliss, I am making a quilt for my youngest daughter out of it (in between sewing aprons). I also made her daughter, my granddaughter a simple one with red rick rack trim, and my neighbor's young daughter one too!

    Keep it up you will be an expert in no time! Merry Christmas. PS Found your blog via Pink Chalk Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliments Ninja Ryder and allysgrandma! I just got done free-motion quilting my second quilt. I'll post on it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful quilt, especially for a first! I actually sewed baby/crib quilts for a children's boutique at one time, but was never brave enough to try free-motion. I like the piecing and mixing fabrics, but the actual quilting part was always a chore. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind comments! You should give free-motion a try! I'm trying the meander pattern again on the Emma quilt I'm working on. http://diythirdtimesacharm.blogspot.com/2012/01/emma-quilt-top.html
      I'm happy to say it's easier the second time around!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful job on your first quilt. It looks amazing. Much better than my first for sure. Congrats on the finish and the free motion quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I think my cooking blog may soon have quilts. I do love Cluck cluck Sew--great patterns and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so pretty, Brittney! I've featured it this week at ishouldbemoppingthefloor: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html

    You've been a busy gal lately! Would love for you to link up some of your creativeness at this week's party. The freezer paper labels & adorable crochet flowers...they look so fabulous. Would be delighted to see bothl of them show up at the party this week. Hope you're enjoying Superbowl Sunday!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you Kristi! What an honor! I've grabbed a button.

      Delete
  8. This is AMAZING for your first quilt, Britt!!! This is my favourite due to the colours you've used. You have an eye for co-ordinating fabrics...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!