Wednesday, April 25, 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - Yarn Wielding Heroes

So the topic for day three of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week is our Knitting and/or Crochet Hero.

Honestly, this one was a little harder for me.

As far as crocheting goes, I'd have to say it's the ladies at my church group who so patiently took me under their wing and gave me my first crochet lesson.  We were having an activity where we were learning to crochet beanies.  I was probably the only one who showed up with 0 crocheting experience.  So when they handed me the pattern it looked like complete gibberish to me.  There were all of these abbreviations - YO, SS, DC, CH - what in the world did all of this mean!  Then one of them showed me how to do a double crochet.  It went something like this, <A very patient lady> "Yarn on, put your hook through the stitch, yarn on, pull it through, yarn on, pull through two loops, yarn on, pull through two loops." <Me> "How many stitches was that?"  <Patient Lady> "One."  <Me> "One!  All of that was only one stitch!"  You can imagine how the rest of the evening went.  But I persevered and thanks to their help and a lot of youtube videos I finished my first beanie and never looked back.

As far as knitting is concerned, I've mainly taught myself and utilized the internet a ton!!  Whenever I get stuck on a pattern, I start searching the internet for explanations or videos.  However, I guess I can thank some ladies out there in Blog Land for giving me the inspiration to pick up the needles again.  I tried teaching myself over a year ago, and it didn't stick. Then I was introduced to Blog Land.  Through my blog stalking I started to see some ladies knitting projects and they gave me the desire to pick up the needles again and give it another go.  So in a way those ladies are my heroes in that their projects inspired me to try again.  I would say mainly they are Shannon from luvinthemommyhood and Rachel from Stitched in Color.  So thank you to those ladies for tantalizing me with their projects so that I had the will to try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!